Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I think I'm starting to like this town.

Look outside any window facing Europe and you might just see a glow in the sky. That would be me. After today's day.

9:30am ride cute little funicular 2 minutes down the hill to the central tram stop
9:40am meet N for a great cappuccino and juice at Henrici
10am go with N to the Migros Fitness Park Hammam downtown
1pm leave Hammam and go get another good coffee and some European style cheesecake at Schwarzenbach

2-6:30pm play with A at home, because it is raining outside. Not a single tear. Fun afternoon.

That time in the Hammam was three whole hours of no cell phone, quiet spaces, Moroccan tiles and embellished metal bowls to hold my washcloth. We wore cotton sheets. We sat in steamy, lavender rooms, and soaped and washed. We sat in other, hotter, steamy cinnamon rooms and sweat. We laid around on a hot dry cement bench, in a room lit only by a few Moroccan lanterns, and felt our back muscles melt. We got a 30 minute soap foam and warm water massage, and a 20 minute thyme mud scrub, a light lunch on chaise lounges in a room with a fountain and peppermint tea, and then another, hot stone and oil massage. I don't think I've ever been as clean as I was when I left the building. Three whole hours of paying attention to my skin and my body and just being.

All inside what is a bit like Switzerland's Target, except it is a cooperative. I doubt there is a Target in the world where I could leave feeling so serene. I doubt that there are even Target executives who ever feel that serene.

So yes, I'm liking living in Zurich a bit more today.

No comments:

Post a Comment