Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Being the new kid, again

How old do you have to be not to get the "new kid" nerves in a new place? Last night I went out dancing for the first time since I was 3 weeks pregnant. I was still in Tucson then and most of the people I danced with had no idea. Given how hard it had been to conceive, I was a bit worried about the rougher leads trying do to some crazy spin-me-by-my-stomach move, so I just told everyone I had hurt my back and to lead gently. My last night of dancing in Tucson.

I finally had the energy, the babysitting, and the time to go dancing here in Zurich last night. In a small space near one of the playgrounds I really like.

M was off on a work dinner, so I suited up (gotta dress comfy but in a skirt that swings nice and a t shirt that won't bertray you when it gets sweaty), got out my dance sneakers (way more stable than the wedges, especially for a bad back and out of shape mama), and went on my way. Once I was within walking distance, I realized I was nervous. A room of new people, who to dance with, did I remember how to dance, and could I handle all the asking I'd have to do as the new person (tiring at best, disheartening at worst)? At nearly 40 years old, triumphantly with a successfully navigated new motherhood, country of residence, marriage, work life, depression....and I was still nervous.

My friend J posted today that she got a job in the middle of nowhere where she will be alone for the first many months, not even her cat with her. And she is nervous. But she is one of the funniest people I know. The person I would expect to have no problems in a new place. S there it is - we all still get nervous. Of isolation, of what people will think of us, how it will go, what we were thinking of undertaking this new thing. And invariably it is these adventures that enrich life in ways we hoped but didn't imagine.

So good luck, J, and congratulations!

My night of dancing turned out great. Luckily I lead as well as follow, so even though the place was 3:1 women to men, I got my self-promised 5 good dances, with 3 guys and 2 women. And the biggest mistake I made? After asking the best lead in the room to dance, and having a great dance, I walked away afterwards, having thanked him. Guess what, here the norm is to have two dances with each partner. I threw away a totally great second dance! I'll have to rememdy that next time.

Oh, and the second place winner of the Eurovision contest this year, Italy, has a pretty danceable song.

No comments:

Post a Comment