Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Snowy Day

Today started off actually a bit worse than yesterday. At 5:50am, I was lying on my back, for like, the 30 seconds I do that every few hours sleeping, and coughed. Ouch. Bad idea.

But honestly, things went up from there. The dog did not throw up the balloon I think she ate last night, and my back was okay. At which point I heard the best sounds in the world. Well, after my daughter's laughter.

A truck engine combined with a scraping sound. A snow shoveling vehicle!

It had snowed all night, and the world was once again covered in white.

Turns out, A woke up at 6am. Usually, I would still be crying inside, but did I mention the snow? Yeah, lots of it. And kept falling all morning. Which is almost as good as sunlight for getting my mood up. Those big, fluffy flakes that fall slowly are the best - actually like a mild sedative for my brain. Like white noise. A big, cold, soft SHHHhhhhhhhhhhh, as long as I am watching it.

The rest of the day was great. I even got a 45 minute nap when I ran home to put in the pot roast (which, in keeping with today's theme, was awesome), and it turns out A took a 10 minute nap in my arms as I got off the bus with her, walked her and the sled down to our apartment, and got her to her bed. At which point she woke up.

No problemo. Which, really, makes me realize that on days when a croissant with the edge chipped off is a big problemo for me, there is something going on.

I had no more support at work, or anything, but I had snow, a nap, and a brain that was feeling good.

We played with my hand as a goose that tickled A, with the balloons from her birthday, we had a snack, we took the bottles and cans to recycling and hit a playground on the way home. It is ridiculous all we did.

I spent time with my daughter, and I paid attention to her. I took time to just hang out. I let her take her own time to walk, to play, to be. We laughed. I consider today the first day of thoughfulness Advent for me. 

2 comments: