Thursday, June 3, 2010

Goin' home

We're almost at the end of our stay.

Baby A is now crawling fast and standing when she can. She eats carrot mush and Zwieback crackers with the best of them. And she thought the new backpack hiking carrier was pretty fly. She's a daycare champ.

She still doesn't sleep so well on our visits home (waking 5-7 times a night instead of 10-12 like last month), so things will still be a bit rough. But this month has been about my connecting with her and having enough rest to do it well. And about learning to handle the thought of a small, simple, slow life better. So what if we don't do a lot of what other parents are doing with their 6 month olds. This is our life, and it is enough.

We'll probably never know what the issues with sleep were. That's a hard one to let go of given the academic background and how much the exhaustion can slow down the days. But if we, I, can learn to roll with this reality, I think I'm better of in the long run anyway.

It won't stop me from wanting to bring some serious pain to that 80 year old Swiss ladies who told us we HAD to get baby A's ears surgically corrected because they were so big that they would make her life hard. Yeah, ok, bite me. Oh wait, after a month of therapy I can just smile and walk away. Lucky biddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment