Monday, February 27, 2012

End of the day blogging

I start each morning so well intentioned, to get around to posting something in this blog. I wake up, sometimes still sleepy, but ideas in my head and a desire to get them out, on paper, on computer screen.

And then the day happens. This morning, after a just-us-4 weekend of grey skies and random trips into the city to eat things, it was sunny. It was going to be warm. I was going to have until 2pm to work on getting our passport renewals posted, some work emails sent, and some blogging finally done. And then my sleepy kid was a little clingy monkey, too. She wasn't feeling good, and the fact that she looked more than happy to go back to sleep at 9am meant no school for her. And a nap followed by a few emails for me.

Now it is 7:30pm, and M is actually trying to get her to sleep early, because that 9am nap went until 11:30am and then she's been awake until now. And I'm just trying to wind down. I no longer yearn to put ideas on the screen. I don't feel like putting together all my thoughts. But, I thought I'd start writing anyway.

I've finally told the last of the people who knew we were pregnant that we are not pregnant anymore. And while weathering a nasty little flu last week that had me in fever and chills and sinus pain so strong that my TEETH hurt, we had a physics education speaker visit the university.

Soooo boring. No, not the speaker - he was actually great. Gave the exact kind of talk that gets physics professors who have lectured their whole 40 year career long thinking. And challenged, to apply the same rigor to their teaching as to their research. He asked them to think about how they actually knew their students were learning anything. He told them that he had thought he knew about his students and it turned out that he was wrong. He told them, over and over, in subtle ways, that he was at Harvard. This last piece may have been the strongest incentive to these professors to actually listen. And he gave a very well paced, well practiced, Education 101 talk that got people talking.

But my post is boring. I don't have the energy to relate it to anything. This is why I don't blog most evenings. Morning - great. Middle of the night when I can't sleep but already have for 4 hours, probably even better. Evening, just after dinner - zzzzzzzzzzz.

So here I am, stuck in Switzerland for a few weeks, waiting for a new passport. The weather is getting nicer, and I'm finally able to breathe through my nose at night. My daughter seems to be over the worst of the extremely explosive, um, diaper filling. And I think we caught her diaper rash in time, too. Whew.

That is all I've got for you all tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment