Friday, March 2, 2012

Beginning of the day blogging

It really is much better this way. To start of before starting work. While the day is still full of possibilities.

It is sunny, and going to be warm. I'm going to be all sassy about that fact and go in to work without drying my hair. I just switched the shampoo and conditioner I'm using because, after my all-in-one shampoo/conditioner ran out, I went back to the Body Shop stuff we have at home. I'm big on getting my beauty and body care products cruelty free. And the Body Shop is the easiest place to do it here. The problem is, they changed their haircare line about a year ago. And for the last week, after using their "for oily hair" conditioner, I leave the house feeling like I might have left both shampoo and conditioner in my hair by mistake, not rinsed it, and even put some hand lotion up there for good measure. Greasy, chunky hair. Definitely not the kind of hair I can leave without washing for 2 days. And around here, washing hair every day is not the norm. So I was not very happy with this. Actually, since my hair looked like it hadn't been washed in days, precisely the moment after I'd washed it, I could have gone for any number of days without washing again, I guess.

The point is, I've finally admitted that there is something not quite right with this shampoo and conditioner, and thank goodness I can pay twice the price for half as much better stuff, that is still not tested on animals, from the local drugstore in our village.

It is amazing how humans can just not notice, or willfully ("because I can't bear the thought of what else I'm going to buy and where to find it and it is just easier if I pretend this stuff works even though I keep thinking I must have put mayonnaise in my hair by mistake"). And we do this all over the place, all day long. In education this comes up again and again - lectures don't help students get over deeply held conceptions that are not physically correct, neither, it seems, do demonstrations at the front of the class. Only having to struggle with inconsistencies directly ("um, wow, do you need an extra hour at home this morning? maybe take a shower finally?") that we start to deal with certain facts we have been happily ignoring for a while. And we ignore for all manner of reasons. Probably at the top of the list - it is easier and it saves time to ignore. That's why I do it.

It is why my go-to app on the iPhone for weather is the one that comes with the device and, pretty much on a daily basis, is wrong. It is very cheery, especially when it wants to let me know there will be sunlight tomorrow. It says that a lot. Sunny, but always tomorrow. And if I can be forgiven for hoping for sun tomorrow, how do we get me out of the pickle that this app is constantly telling me the current temperature is higher than today's high temperature, or lower than today's low? Seriously? Shouldn't that be app-writing 101, that your weather app has to reset the high and low temperatures for the day based on what they actually are? And yet, there it is, on my first screen, waiting to be tapped yet again as I waste time.

No wonder education is so hard, and the basic debunking of astrology lecture we used to do in class didn't change anyone's mind. I won't even stop listening to my weather app that is constantly cancelling our dinner plans and telling me we didn't actually say we'd meet for coffee. Honestly, how does anyone learn anything they didn't already know?

No comments:

Post a Comment