Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Well shit on a shingle

We are back to square one.

Baby A came home Saturday afternoon, we had a sort of ok night (better then ever before at home apart from the first day we had switched to all formula), and thought the next nights would just get better.

Wrong.

Nope.

Didn't happen. Got worse until, here we are again, it is just like before we left. Ok, not exactly like - she is back on an every 3.5 - 4 hours feeding schedule, getting more at each feeding but less often. She is in her crib for all but a few naps, but the hammock has beer retired. And breastfeeding is, actually, going really well. Better than every before. Somewhat I think thanks to her being hungry at mealtimes, but also because I have learned to trust her when she pushes my body away just slightly - I think it changes something enough that she is then more comfortable. Yes, that's right, my baby has learned to milk me. Again, I feel like a cow. In the best possible meaning of that term.

But back to the sleeping. It is eerie how much it is almost exactly like before the hospital, and this gives me a lot of confidence back. In all we were trying. We didn't wind up with a hammock and swaddling and white noise because of an outdated habit. It is the same stuff we have started to gravitate back to when the hospital methods just don't work. We can't, for the life (and I do mean life) of us get that weird sleep schedule to get any better.

The hospital log sheets show 5 and 6 hour stretches of sleep with just one or two "pop the binky back in and nothing else" marks in them. 4 nights there were like this. And here, whether M and I are both in our room with the door open, or one of us is sleeping in her room, or coming from the living room, "pop the binky back in" just doesn't send her back to sleep. We've mimicked their rolled up towel body pillow, put her in a pajama at bedtime, stopped using white noise or any music, let her naps be short if they will, fed her formula and breastmilk, put her to nap with butt patting instead of bouncing....everything they did. None of it makes a bit of difference. She is once again waking and pooing or farting really hard.

Which leads to a few last ideas (because honestly, I'm running out and I can go pretty damn far when I try), in an attempt to be thorough...

1. that she is allergic to something I stopped eating while at the hospital (I changed my diet there a bit - no eggs, almost no chocolate, lots of carbs and protein) and started again when we got home. The biggest suspect is eggs - I had them for breakfast the day things went back to bad, and in a protein shake for lunch, in powder form. I've been off them and chocolate, tomatoes, berries, citrus and soy (had sushi just before bringing her home) since Saturday. Sleep is no better. Not even marginally, at night. We had one great, calm nap yesterday where putting the binky back in worked. But night, back to hell. 3 hours of sleep for her, then 2, then hours then less.

2. the doctor suggested she may have picked up a stomach bug at the hospital. great. Might explain those mucus poops, but not the pattern that went back to like before.

3. The apartment? I mean, we have had 6 different people work on her sleep, so it isn't like she wakes up just for me. She has slept in the living room for weeks, in our room for weeks, in the guest room for weeks. So it isn't a room. It isn't one of us, at least not directly, behaviorally. What else is here? Some irritant or allergen? Could it be the dog? Or some noise that happens at the same times each day? Is the kid psychic or picking up Wi-Fi signals? But why would that impact tummy issues and farting?

4. The nurses at the hospital lied, gave her sedatives, or something not noted. Do I think this is likely? Of course not. But what do I have left?

So, I've tried to make my diet more like at the hospital. We could try taking her for a few days to someone else's house or a hotel to test #3. Or back to the hospital and I stay up at night to watch what magic those nurses worked on her to get such great sleep patterns.

Anyone have something I haven't thought of? Because our lives are once again at the precipice of little sleep and less hope.

Oh, and it isn't the laws of physics in the apartment. Lamps still only turn on when plugged in, and I dropped a piece of buttered bread this morning. It landed butter side down. So physics, in order.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...based on what I've read on my food allergy boards...if you suspect egg, then do a 1 week elimination diet. Completely - no baked egg in anything either. The description of mucus poo's sounds like an infant food allergy...and I've heard it described that way before from others. Does she get any red splotches on her body? Eczema? Can they do a blood RAST test for egg? That'll tell you uf there are any IgE-mediated things going on.

    Hope you can figure it out --- now you have more data!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a long shot but.....some years ago a friend of mine had a baby boy she sometimes brought to work. He cried and cried a LOT, and as it turned out would generally stop crying when I held him. My theory was that there was something in my moisturizer which either soothed him or knocked him out. Have you considered lotions etc, on either you or baby A ? Any chance they used something different at the hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arg.

    If the nurses gave her sedatives, the very least they could have done is quietly slip one of you a bottle of it on your way out....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it is the apartment. Or rather, the traffic in and out. Keep to one room, to one place. I think stability helps a lot and even at this young age, schedule. Honestly, at 4-8 months we weren't getting a lot of sleep and I hate to say this, but at 3 years we still have nights several times a week that are disturbed multiple times. Maybe we aren't the best examples. Kids. Humph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audra. May I suggest a few things? I don't think you are going to find a miracle cure for Baby A's colic and difficulty sleeping, but I hope for you that it will gradually improve over a period of months. In the meantime, you can keep trying to figure out what helps her, and you can maximize your ability to cope. One thing that I found is that having constantly fragmented disrupted sleep for months made it difficult to sleep when I did have the rare opportunity. Paradoxically, I often got more rest while in the hospital on call than Michael did home with Milena.

    So I suggest: the sleep vacation. Go to the nearest nice hotel or B&B and make a reservation for a weekend. Bring your breast pump.
    Leave Baby A with your babysitter/grandma/trusted friend (preferably all of above) for the weekend. Pump every 3-4 hrs but otherwise spend the entire time resting, eating, and sleeping. Go out for meals or have them delivered. Have your husband deliver bottles of pumped milk to Baby A's caregiver each day. Sleep at least 8-10 hours a night. Have a professional massage and have them concentrate on your neck and shoulders. Take a hot bath. Go for long baby-free walks. Try not to talk or think too much about how Baby A is doing.

    The other thing that helps tremendously is that which you don't have in a new place: a network of friends and supporters. If you can, try to cultivate at least one other mom who could become a good friend. Is there any kind of parenting/breastfeeding support group you can join? Sometimes hospitals will run a group. I went to one and it was a great help.

    Thinking of you & sending you love...

    ReplyDelete