Monday, July 20, 2009

Potty time = art walk?

There is a 6-8 block loop we do with the dog sometimes when we take her out for a walk. It goes past our local little grocer, down a block towards town, past a school, up to the little triangle of grass where she goes "potty time" and "poopies" and then back towards home. On the way it passes a small art gallery. On the side of the art gallery, in the first photo here, is what looks like grafitti. It looks spray painted. But then you see that it is also covered in plexiglass, as if the art gallery folks wanted to safeguard it. Huh. Ok, maybe some grafitti artist did a show there once and was asked to leave some art? I like it, kind of reminds me of Miro. M says he thinks more of Picasso when he sees it. No, neither of us studied much art, so that is our "depth" of knowledge from which to pull comparisons.

I used to walk just to the grass triangle, straight and only pass this piece. But then, as I walked around the city, and finally found the little detour that became our loop walk with the dog, I started seeing more of what I think is the same person's work. As far as I can tell. And this isn't in a grafitti-ridden neighborhood. We're living in a slightly uppity part of town right now while apartment hunting.
Not far from the art gallery piece, is this one, on an apartment building front door. And again, looks like when they painted the wall a light blue, they left the original tan color where the drawing crosses from doorway to wall. As if to preserve it.

And then down by the school where we stop with the pupper, is this one, which M says looks like it is opening or closing the door with one limb. And again, none of it is painted over.














Finally, one of the last ones I've seen in this area, on what seems to be a residence.

I like them. They don't depress me, or make me mad that someone defaced a building. The are all on surfaces that are painted and could be repainted to cover up the image.

One last thought, though, now that I wrote that "potty time" is where I see these pieces. When we first started toilet training the pupper, we were told to pick a word or phrase (someone else I know uses "whizz") and say it over and over again while the dog was pee-ing so she would start to associate the word with the act. And honestly, I don't think the pupper gets a single pee in now without one of us whispering "potty time, potty time, do your thing, potty time" in back of her. Of course, potty is a colloquiual name for the toilet, and I'm not sure which came first, the word or the portable, plastic, concert venue outhouses called Port-a-potties. Probably the word.

My issue? Well, now that we live in another country, we've wondered if we should teach the dog any commands in German. And the other day I passed this, at a construction site near the apartment.

Yup, it is a "Toi Toi." My question is, should we start asking the pupper to "go toi toi" or should we just leave potty time alone? I think I opt for the latter.

1 comment:

  1. Leave potty time alone.

    Hmmmm, I should share some similarly weird graffiti around us, although we have plenty of graffiti here. (Ps. we're here until the end of Aug, with a break in Ireland for a few days. )

    ReplyDelete