Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Finger or toe?

There is a TV show in the US called Scrubs. It is a comedy about hospitals and doctors, and the characters are all really outrageous. The main "couple" in the show is JD and Turk, who although they're only friends, are like the bestest bestest friends in the world. And they have all of these weird rituals and things they do together. One of them, no more or less weird than the others is a game called "Finger or toe?" in which one of them closes his eyes, and the other one places his finger or toe under the nose of the one with the eyes closed. The first guy has to guess (by smell) which it is - a finger or toe. Ok, so I think the show is pretty funny, but even if you don't or have never seen it, my point is as follows.

I'm starting to play a very similar game with the impending baby. Last night, while I was going to sleep, I decided to put my hand on my belly and see if, just if, I might be able to feel anything. Until now I haven't felt anything, but apparently I soon should. And supposedly it feels like gas bubbles, or something else your brain fills in to explain the physical sensation in terms of things you've experienced before.

And after a few minutes, there it was. I think. So I'm going to call our new game "baby or gas?" I'm sure that in the coming weeks it will not really be much of a game anymore because it will be pretty obvious. But for now, there's one more reason to go lay down, on my back, for a nap. Because I get to play baby or gas with the kid. And honestly, I'm still not 100% sure it is the baby on any time I've felt something. But, in my experience, gas doesn't usually come with a physical movement that I can feel with my hand. A noise, maybe, but not a movement.

Oop. See, even while typing, with the laptop on a pillow on my belly, there it was. Baby......or was it gas?

1 comment:

  1. The split between me and Janice was about two weeks, if I recall.

    The game to play in the last trimester is to wait for a limb to poke out, then push it back in. About two or three seconds later, there's a cautious response....

    ReplyDelete