Friday, April 19, 2013

Mama, I want a baby in our house

Out of the mouths of little ones.

Being a kid is so many things - confusing, emotional, frustrating, and also joyous and full of big dreams and ideas. And an ability to ask for what they want, at the moment they think about it. Without all that adult baggage we develop, of what it means to want, if it is okay, should we say it, should we even want it.

And so, at breakfast this rainy morning, towards the end of eating a kiwi, A said "Mama, I want a baby. In our house. Like you had when you had me when I was a baby." She has a best friend who is a big sister to a 1 year old baby, and babies are all the rage at daycare right now (more in an accessories, I want to be the one who holds her/him, kind of way).

By the time we had talked about which babies she was basing this on, and it was my turn to respond, I started choking up a bit. Saying "I want one, too" without breaking into tears was rough. But I managed it.

That we might all have moments again like that where we can just say so easily what we want at a certain moment.

I want one, too, little one. I want one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment