Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Suck it, GlasseMasters.

Ok, I do have a more directed post for today, that just wasn't going to fit in with the last one.

I'm about to send my $700 pair of glasses back to the US for a second time, for a refund. I got them at a chain that I've patronized for the last 15 years. My prescription is high enough, in the -7 range, so I get the ultrathinned lenses with the scratch resistance coating and anti-reflection coating. I do this because I wear my glasses all the time - no contacts - so they are kind of like my wedding ring. Expensive.

And when you get the high-index lenses, even a little tilt or shift from where the center of the eye is, makes a huge, headache-inducing, world-moving, nausea-filled difference.

And I made the mistake to leave the shop, in Chicago, without my glasses feeling okay. I had two different tech's check them, adjust them, and they didn't get better. It is always the same reply "well, just wear them a bit and if they still don't work come back in..."

Bull-poo-poo, I say. I know how they should feel and something is wrong and how come your tech's are not people who wear glasses and how come you don't go and check the glasses when a person with such a large prescription tells you something is wrong, it is. Get over your policies and get my glasses in that back room and double check them. Seriously, people. Don't tell me that my glass frames shouldn't be flat in front, if that is how I wear my last pair.

Turns out, they cut the lenses wrong (news brought to me by competent Swiss super-opticians). Not just a bit wrong, although with my Rx and the lenses, that would make a difference. Nope, they must have measured where my pupils are incorrectly, because I had glasses with the centerline of my eyes misaligned my many mm's, in the vertical direction. As if one of my eyes was lower on my face than the other.

Which, just to make things clear, my eye is not. Neither is my other eye.

Thus the Willy-Wonka-swirly-world feeling.

And then, let's just say that the manager in Chicago wasn't among the most innovative at problem solving with me, and tried to leave it at "so when you come in, we will check them out for you". Dude, I told you 3 times already that isn't for over 6 months from now. Seven. Hundred. Dollar. Worthless. Plastic.

In the end, I sent them with the Swiss diagnosis, said manager had them remade when his lab confirmed the problem but never said sorry, and my mom sent them back to me from Chicago. And they are still off.

Whatever. Back they go, still under the 90 day money back guarantee, and I will go, tail between legs, to the local optician to get my new pair. What a waste of time, GlassMasters* (*names have been changed to protect something or other).

No comments:

Post a Comment