Friday, October 26, 2012

Grey grey grey, ding!

Fall in Zurich.

Not so much sunlight. Cold and damp.

A good time to put in some halogen bulbs, bring out the fuzzy slippers and pajamas. And start catching up on Project Runway. I finished my dissertation conclusion with a reference to the judges on Project Runway, and how random their advice was each week - you didn't design outside the box enough, you went waaay too far outside the box, not enough color, too much color....These people are not much for standardized, consistent feedback. Granted, by now, 10 years into the show, even I know that you don't use fabric items for the candy challenge. C'mon, designers, have you not watched all the shows before applying?

Motivation can be tough in this weather, too. Especially when you are working alone a lot. So this fall, by lucky accident, the online work date is back in my life. Thanks for happening upon my office on the wrong week for the talk you were looking for, P. When I was finishing my dissertation, E and I would do 45 min. work sessions with a chat window open. We'd state our goals for the time period, (I'm going to wokr on 1., 2., and 3....) and then go work for 45min., with a timer set. Ding! Then we'd check in, by text or video, how the time had gone, take a 5 or 10 minute break, and start again. Sometimes 4 times in a row. It was how I got my dissertation written, even sitting at home. I wouldn't have made it without that peer pressure. So P and I did this on Monday, and it went well. Knowing that someone else is also working, having to write down your goals, all those things that don't happen when surfing the web in search of motivation, that is what makes it so powerful.

A photo of a small town in Missouri. Nothing to do with the post, except for all that grey. 
And my favorite quote from that time - that writing leads to motivation, not the other way around. It is part of why I keep this blog. Because some days, if I can just get writing, even about a topic as boring as Zurich weather, it gets me writing, and then I'm off the couch, looking for my socks and boots, and on my way to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment