Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Kids and art and such

In the previous month, we've started collecting craft supplies at our house, hoarding them for the impending cold, rainy, grey winter months when A and her friends will be spending more time inside than at the playground. We're going to need something to keep us occupied. And instead of buying new toys, M and I have decided to see what we can make with the empty water bottles, eggs cartons, tissue boxes and toilet paper rolls. While the other objects are all still waiting the arrival of enough peers to make a bowling alley/construction set, the toilet paper rolls have already made their debut. M draws little people on them. It may still be a bit early for A to appreciate the roll people.

A paper towel roll became a crocodile that could eat, and then poop, all manner of object. That one went over a bit better. I state for the record, that was not my idea.

It seems that other people also reuse toilet paper rolls for art projects. Just a little more highbrow and fricking amazing.

I found that artist's website while searching the internet for paper cutout patterns or designs I can use on some white contact paper I have, that I want to cover A's bathroom light (one of those soul sucking long fluorescent deals) with, to dim it a bit for evening tooth brushing time. I think that detail is out of my league. Perhaps a few stars or moons might be achievable with minimal self injury from the exacto knife.

A has just gotten over a long cold. Ok, not gotten over, but the fever and extreme cough are gone long enough that she can go back to school, we can all sleep through more hours of the night, and I can recover. And I know she's feeling better because she has her characteristic energy back. To jump and sing, to wail and cry on the floor, to say "NO!" over and over again, and to eat. All the raisins out of many slices of Panettone. I used butter on the remaining bread parts to get those in as part of yesterday's snack.

And just as parental exhaustion over a toddler illness gives way to parental exhaustion over a back-to-normal force of nature, I think again about the second child.

When you start dating someone your family likes, "when are you getting engaged?" seems to come up way earlier than you are ready to answer. This doesn't stop through "married", "having kids", all the way through "second kid." I think people who ask this have either lower-key kids, no kids, or lots of help with their kids.

Sure, I'm getting to the edge of my 30s, and it may take us a long time to conceive again, it may not even be possible. Who knows. And friends of mine whose first kids are about A's age are either pregnant or starting to talk about that next child. And I feel like I should to.

And then I find myself exhausted. One more great day, with so much to do and see, and some tantrums to calm, but a lot of wrangling and not a lot of down time, and I'm spent. It is time to put that question away for now. Because I can't plan on another child at this moment. Even the thought of being pregnant while I have such an active kid and such a weak back, is daunting. I still need 95% of what I bring to any given day, to mother, but also to get to where A and I are enjoying each other. It isn't time yet for us. I think it is just time to enjoy our crazy, laughing, screaming, singing, kissing, kicking, talking kid full on a while longer. The second child question will have to wait.

For now. I think I've found a cute pattern that is within my reach...using a hole punch. Wait, where am I going to get a hole punch?

No comments:

Post a Comment