Wednesday, September 7, 2011

One plate at a time

I like food. Even if on this trip I was less likely to be eating some of it, I was doing my very best. For some reason, every time L and I passed a food stand at the market where there was sauerkraut, I had to have some. No idea what caught my nose, but I did have more than one plate of it during the visit to Vilnius. Lithuanians tend to add sugar to it, and this makes it less sharp. Well, and sweeter, of course.

And there were the mushrooms, and the pork cutlets, the berry drinks and the dark bread with garlic and sour cream. There was a lovely bowl of borscht the first night, which I will be trying to reproduce at home tonight for dinner. M must have been quite intrigued as he unloaded the grocery bag last night: sour cream, bacon bits, potatoes, a lot of butter,....

There were apples fresh from family gardens, and chocolate which was a completely different creature from what used to be available in Lithuania. I was quite impressed by the plain dark stuff, given that my palette is, um, well trained to that substance these last few years. We ate little fried cheese dough balls dusted in sugar, and rye bread coconut snacks.



It was a fine eating experience.

Oh, and I was happy to find that even the coffee shop chain made pretty good lattes. C'mon, Switzerland, you really have to step it up. Starbucks probably needs to go, and you need to start a homegrown label here. Please? It would make things all the more lovely. Ok? You'll think about it? No, huh?





No comments:

Post a Comment