Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A bunch of big sticks and a huge glass vase

...are currently enjoying a new home in M's office this evening, after coming from IKEA in a big, white van-ful of other things. We rented a van. I printed out all manner of google maps - from home to IKEA, from IKEA to other shop, from other shop to home, from IKEA to home (in case we didn't make it to other shop). Large map for each plus written directions and turn-by-turn maps. At 11am we pulled out of the rental lot near the university. At 11:15am, we missed our turn off the highway. Yeah.

By 11:17 I was done swearing, and about to say how, as navigator, I just hadn't had time to learn to use google maps on my iPhone, when I turned it on and saw a little blue dot on a map of the Zurich area. And it was moving. And we were saved! My iPhone was telling me where we were, as we drove down suburban Zurich streets. It was amazing. I managed to find the IKEA on the printed out map and somehow, turn by turn, that little piece of technology got us to the biosphere of cheap house goods.

We now have a couch on order which is a monster of a sectional, with washable slipcovers. Sweet. And an array of smaller household items (dishes, lamps, patio chairs) which will tide us over as we unpack our shipped goods, remember what exactly we shipped, wonder why we thought it was such a great idea to ship any of it, and figure out what else we need. All the IKEA stuff is patiently awaiting our arrival in the new apartment, nestled in our storage in the basement.

Mission accomplished. I love this phone. M's not so bad either, for having done all of the driving of a large manual van, after a long time not having driven.

No comments:

Post a Comment