Sunday, January 26, 2014

Unfeminine and undginified...or not.

As this pregnancy progresses, there are more ways in which I have to change my usual behaviors, from the trivial to the more impacting of my daily life.

I've stopped wearing even the lowest of heels (actually, I only wear the lowest of heels anyway, cowboy boots) because they tilt my pelvis and arch my back enough, given my lack of core strength, to make me feel my disk issues. How un-feminine:

feminine
adjective
1 a very feminine young woman: womanly, ladylike; girlish; soft, delicate, gentle, graceful; informal girly. ANTONYMS masculine.

I've also added, rather considerably, to my medicine cabinet, from antacids to anti-constipation measures (just writing that is unfeminine!) and hemorroids cream. Yup, my body is under siege in a way that seems so un-dignified as well:

dignified
adjective
a dignified and courteous butler: stately, noble, courtly, majestic, distinguished, proud, august, lofty, exalted, regal, lordly, imposing, impressive, grand; solemn, serious, grave, formal, proper, ceremonious, decorous, reserved, composed, sedate.

And yet, there is nothing that says womanly like pregnant belly, and there is definitely nothing that says impressive and distinguished like creating another human being, by way of giving up even the calcium in one's bones, the space of one's stomach and bladder, and the oxygen in one's lungs (albeit involuntarily). So I'm choosing to think of my European Preparation-H substitute as quite dignified, really. And if my burping and flat shoes, by way of growing belly, seem unfeminine, maybe it is time to revisit the definition of female.

No comments:

Post a Comment