Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Amazing coffee, and pancake restaurants everywhere

If the Dutch language doesn't have die/der/das articles, I'm moving. M and Baby A and I were in the Netherlands this weekend. What a charming place. And seriously, the coffee I got, in a low, round bowl, had all the makings of a Cambridge, Mass, Porter Square latte. I think M might have drunk 3 double shot drinks in one day just to try to fill up that amazing-coffee-shaped-hole in his heart.

Amsterdam found its way into my heart in under an hour. The old buildings, the people, the non-Swiss chewing gum stains, the pancakes. These people respect the pancake in all its glory - we had one with bacon, leeks and cheese, and another with coconut and bananas. Baby A made sure to get as much of the coconut one as her father would let her have.

Bicycles everywhere. We even got to rent one in Leiden where we were visiting friends and go around the extremely flat town on two wheels. A was quite happy sitting in the little baby seat on the front handlebars, complete with her own handles to hold.

The weather was good, for this time of year, I guess. But the fact that it was a damp cold, about 5 degrees colder than Zurich and I'm still gushing about the place means I must have really liked it.

It was my first solo flight with Baby A, and we did okay. She was with me the whole day, hung in there like a trooper in her stroller, and while she had a 15 minute screaming, pre-nap episode in the plane, I survived it. No glasses broken, and she finally stopped kicking and flailing, took her binky back, and passed out in my arms.

I also think we found just enough cool things to do in Amsterdam to make it a really packed but successful visit with a toddler. So tomorrow I'm going to take a page from how the New York Times does their "36 hours in...." travel series, which I always check for a new city I'm going to, and do one for 24 hours, with toddler, in Amsterdam. Pancakes, strong coffee, Van Gogh, and Miffy included.

No comments:

Post a Comment