Wednesday, September 29, 2010

We could be heroes

I went out tonight. Baby A finally fell asleep (I tell you what, wow, how I practiced calm breathing) about 7:45pm and the show began at 8pm. I did a lot of mental "it is okay if we miss some. Even if we don't go" as I rocked her. Japanese food delivery bento box in hand, contents gulped down in the taxi, M and I rushed to the Peter Gabriel orchestral show, New Blood.

We had 4th row seats. It was every bit as moving, inspiring, entertaining, delightful and powerful as I expected. And being that close...was nice.



I saw him almost 8 years ago last time. The show was more theatrical, with conventional drums, bass, etc., and although it was all of the things I just said, it was also an experience that left me with a sadness. He is one of those people (like Julie Taymor, Jim Henson, Robin Williams) who you just know is doing what he was meant to do. Playing to all his skills and practically taking flight with the rightness and mastery of it. I find watching people like this a transcendent experience. A spiritual experience. And 8 years ago I had yet to find anything like that fit for myself. I was still in astronomy, hating it, and feeling every day what a bad fit it was, but terrified to try anything else.

When I switched into education, started working on museum projects and writing about learning and science, I started to find my wings. I finally understood what it was like to be excited as a graduate student and to have confidence in my own skills and potential.

I haven't written any best-selling books on academia, or designed any planetarium experiences that others would leave from transformed, but I know I might. I didn't leave the concert tonight with that sadness and longing. I'll get back to my stuff eventually, in a few months. I'll find ways to work on projects that inspire people. And to keep following my voice.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Audra - I hope you do pursue the teaching/writing stuff and do what you love - you will be great!

    ReplyDelete