Wednesday, February 17, 2010

sleep-deprived blogging is a bit like drunk dialing....

not such a great idea.

That last post is exhibit "A".

What J's email reminded me of was that I didn't make one thing explicit (or even implicit, for that matter). The issues I was talking about are ones where the pros and cons are either so well balanced or so complex, that there is nothing but your own personal limit to help you decide which way to go.

This is the case with the breastfeeding. Baby A cries half the time because she can't focus or calm down enough to latch on, and I have to resort to walking around, bouncing, holding her vertically to help her start. So maybe she is too stressed out by all the crying before latching. But breastfeeding is also the best way to help her little under-mature body and overstimulated brain calm down and relax. She can get really tense. There are another 3-4 matched pairs of pros and cons. Add in experxts on both sides - "you have to breastfeed at all costs!" vs "millions of babies grow up great on formula and she's already stressed out enough!" and it is a zero sum game.

The plusses and minuses really do cancel out.

And I am left with just my personal limit.

For now I'm still breastfeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment