Thursday, September 10, 2009

Laughing gas

Earlier in the week we went to a 2 hour information evening about the university hospital here in Zurich and its maternity ward. It was all in German, with some photos projected on the screen, which meant that I tried as hard as I could to guess what the photos were about while M tried as hard as he could to understand what they were talking about, and we assume the pupper tried as hard as she could to stay in her crate for the first time in the new apartment. Once in a while, I caught a word I could understand which resulted in some interesting moments.

Blah blah blah blah placenta blah blah blah apple tree blah blah blah. Smirks from the German speakers in the audience. Yeah, I guess you can bring the baby placenta home and bury it in the garden, marking it with a plant or tree. Since we're renting, I'm thinking that option is not one we'll pursue.

Blah blah blah laughing gas blah blah blah. You can get laughing gas during labor.

Blah blah, blah blah, cheese, blah blah. I guess that is what they call the gunk that is all over the baby when it comes out.

Blah blah Kaiser-blahblah, blah blah 20% blah blah. So Kaiser is the same term as Caesar, as in C-section (I'm not even going to pretend I know how to spell it out). This was the part where the image of an operating room was. Complete with wide awake woman, and sheets preventing her (and us in the audience) from seeing what they were doing on the other side. Hmmm. Maybe this is where you opt for the laughing gas so you don't think too much about what is going on behind the sheet. Or maybe laughing is not really the motion you want to be inducing at that point.

All in all, it was a start to thinking about this baby that is on its way. Gave me questions to ask the obstetrician, and some more thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment