Friday, September 11, 2009

I do really like big cities.

A few weeks ago, M and I went back to Chicago and it reminded me how much I like big, vibrant cities. Now, Chicago just happens to have amazing architecture (seen from a boat, a car, walking, the "L", pretty much anywhere. Like this view of the newish Millenium Park downtown from the new bridge that goes up to the new modern art wing of the Art Institute.
They had free open evenings all summer long, on Thursdays and Fridays. The collection of visitors was impressive - regulars, tourists, local families with small kids who may not have been able to afford the high prices during regular hours. And the space is lovely - light wood, huge windows looking out to the park and the skyline, spaces to sit, and to grab a coffee - as M and my cousin D are doing here. The spaces to sit and socialize, discuss the artwork or anything else, were really the nicest addition.
Zurich has its own spaces, but for now, they are not inhabited by friends or family, so they just don't seem as inviting. With time, I have faith that this will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment