Monday, December 14, 2015

A whole lotta trees this year

How is it already 3 months since I've written anything new here? They have been a busy 3 months, I guess. Those are my trees. All, um, 10 of them, which means I'm behind on my paper trees advent calendar. But since it is supposed to be for fun and relaxation, that's okay.

The far right - those are many of the NYTimes I did and didn't read this year. Some crosswords worked, others just left completely ignored. On the far left - the Economist tree.

I've been out of touch with many friends these last three months, too, and am finally catching up. And remembering how good it is to talk with friends. About parenting struggles, about relationships, about life. I've been reminded that sometimes a TV show for both kids makes you a BETTER mother, and that other people struggle with their kids, too. I've been shown just acceptance and understanding. It is a huge gift to get, when you're struggling with all the supposed "best" things you can do for your kids. And I've looked forward to every single visit, coffee, and spa night. Because they are not about telling each other what we could be doing better, or should be doing. They are about listening and commiserating. They fill my empty mothering gas tank with ideas to try but also with the knowledge that I'm engaged in a difficult activity and not just falling flat on my face because I'm worse at it than others. There has never been a "God loves you" or "may Jesus bless you" or "I'm praying for you" that has helped me as much as 15 min with an understanding friend. No "we at least you have..." that has given me the renewed energy to try again to find compassion and kindness with kranky children.

Merry Christmas, you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment