Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Don't tell your kids they are smart

When we were back in the US for Christmas break, I picked up a book co-written by an author I like, Nurture Shock . Po Bronson had written a book about changing careers, "What Should I Do With My Life?", full of stories about people who had made huge career changes. It came at just the right time for me, as I was getting up the nerve to quit astronomy. I remember only a few things about the book (as I do with most of what I read), that I liked it, and that almost all the people in the book were forced to change careers. No one calmly sat down and wrote a list of pros and cons of being a day trader and decided it was healthier to follow their dreams of running a diner. Everyone went through a crisis - a divorce, a death in the family, a stroke or heart attack, a paralyzing depression - and this pretty much catapulted them in a new career. They could no longer do what they had been doing before. It made me realize I didn't have to be ashamed that it "took me so long to quit." Unfortunately, my will was strong enough to get me through 5 unproductive, unhappy graduate school years before a major depression hit and I couldn't continue. But that book showed me that this is the natural order of how big career changes happen to a lot of people.

Anyway, apart from recommending that book, I wanted to talk about the more recent book, Nurture Shock. It is a collection of chapters on child development, and the first chapter lands right in the middle of some of the literature I was reading for my dissertation. On praise and intelligence. The first chapter talks mostly about Carol Dweck's research on the perils of praising kids (and I extended that to adults) for their success as an outcome of being smart. Saying "good job! you're so smart" actually seems to set kids up for trouble. They start to worry that they won't be smart enough for the next task they approach and being to avoid challenges. I think of it as hearing "Each person is some fixed amount of smart. If you were smarter than this math test, the next math test could be smarter than you, and people will know you were not smart enough to pass it. You should hide how smart you are and avoid challenges because it is good to be smarter than others and bad to be less smart."

I'm not even going to get into the concept of intelligence today, but the results of Dweck's research suggest we should praise achievement by attributing it to effort - "Good job! You must have tried hard on that test." This encouraged the children in her studies to see challenges (and trying hard) as a good, fun thing. They enjoyed harder tests, even when they didn't do that well on them. In contrast, the kids who had been praised for smarts tended to try hiding any effort they had to expend.

We say "good job!" a lot around the house these days. And whenever I can, I add in something about effort. I think there is a lot to be learned from this research that applies to the culture of academia, but I'll leave that for another day.

4 comments:

  1. I really believe in this philosophy. If you haven't already read this book, I highly recommend her other book - "Mindset". She discusses praise and its harmful effect on kids and she adds to this by classifying people into two categories based on their mindsets: fixed and growth. A child with a fixed mindset wants immediate success at a new task. He or she has been overly praised for past successes and feels that ability is innate. If a task is too difficult, he/she simply believes he/she can't do it and has failed. Whereas, the child with the growth mentality understands the need to practice and work hard to achieve success. Working hard is part of the process and the reward is getting better at something you want to do. A long ramble...Good job on the post, by the way...it's not easy to change ones direction in life and it takes a lot of guts to do so:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds similar to the Montessori philosophy on praise, which is basically that satisfaction should come from within the child rather than a child's sense of self worth being predicated on an adult's opinion of him or her. Vija and Jonas' teachers suggest that instead of saying, "Good job" when they show us something they've drawn or accomplished, we should ask them a question about it or ask them how they feel about their accomplishment instead. I find this very hard to do, but it has made me re-think where I give praise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon - thanks for reminding me about that. I realized I hadn't written about that "conceptions of intelligence" part after I posted, and that is the part I think really applies to problems in academia.

    Rima - I like that idea. For now, the reply would be "Ba!" or "Pfffffrt!" but once she's talking, I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm tickled to read your are writing again.
    I haven't read the books you cite-- right now, if it's not in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, I'm not reading it, in fact I've no business spending time reading this, but hey, it's you and I miss you-- ANYWAY, so I can't really participate in this discussion in a meaningful way, but I do have have question: Do your author(s) factor in whether first children or only children have the same reaction to the "you're smart" praise as say, third and fourth children?
    Just wondering... :)

    ReplyDelete