Monday, July 12, 2010

The Christmas egg cometh




Baby A was barely born by the time Christmas came around this year.

I managed to find the ornaments and put all the dyed eggs I've made over the years on the tree that a friend so wonderfully brought us. We were running on empty already at that point. It was amazing to have a tree, with lights and baubles no less.

The eggs I'd made special for M one year were up there. As were a few I'd kept from the year I made egg ornaments for family presents.

But no special egg for Baby A.

Easter came and went. Still, we were running on empty. I don't even know if we got around to eating some ham or anything. We definitely didn't have any new dyed eggs, and I didn't do my yearly egg decorating party.

So here is it, mid-July, and I finally made it. I got un-dated eggs from the farmer's market this weekend, and pulled out the two nicest ones to work on. I've had the design in mind for months, now. Ever since I realized I hadn't gotten to make anything for my daughter yet. It will only require one dye color (in contrast to the usual 10 I mix up from the Ukranian on-line store), black. It will be based on one of her first loves as a newborn, the IKEA pillow case we bought last year.

I already penciled in the design and even got all the wax on it. I just need to mix up a jar of black, dip it, melt off the wax, and hope the egg survives the evacuation procedure. A bit of shellac and done.

It may still take me months to do this last bit. Okay, the emptying needs to happen in the next few days. I'm talking about the finishing touches of shellac and of a string. But by next Christmas, Baby A will have her "baby's first Christmas" egg, on her second Christmas. Maybe I'll even make a second one by then.

Doubt it.

2 comments:

  1. i think this will end up being the most beautiful egg you've done to date! what a great design idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, I love that it came from her pillow friend :)She will treasure her beautiful egg.

    ReplyDelete